73 Locust St. Dover, NH 03820 (603)516-6050 Mon-Tues 9-8:30,Wed-Fri 9-5:30, & Sat 9-5
The Many Names of Dover
Dover was originally called Hilton’s Point after William and Edward Hilton who founded the settlement at Dover Point in 1623. While the settlement was under Edward Hilton’s management it was called Pascataqua or Pascataway. The Indians called it Newichwannock which means “place of wigwams” and Cochecho which means "rapid foaming water". Some of Captain Thomas Wiggin’s colonists came from Bristol, England in 1633 They renamed the settlement Bristol and it retained that name while Captain Wiggin was governor. In 1637 Reverend George Burdett became governor and he changed the name to Dover. The town was renamed Northam in 1639, after minister Thomas Larkham’s hometown Northam, England.
In 1641 the town was formally incorporated as Dover. The name seems to have been taken from Robert Dover, an English foot soldier and lawyer who founded the “Cotswold Games” in protest of the growing severity of Puritanism.
This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.